Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013

My Testimony Of Faith Part 1

I was born into an atheist family back in 1960. My mom was an atheist and so were my grandparents. My mom didn’t marry my biological dad and when I was 3 yrs old she got married to my step dad who also was an atheist. I had a tough time growing up with my friends for they believed in God and went to church while my parents kept teaching me that there was no God. Now as the rule goes you are to trust in your parent’s teachings and consider them as right. Well I trusted them in everything else but this. In my heart, even as a child I believed they were wrong about this. What puzzles me to this day yet and I will never find out the answer for my mom and grandparents all passed away but at the age of 8 when my sister was born they did baptize me as a Protestant. Why, I don't know since they didn't believe in God, maybe others talked them into it, I just don’t know and this will forever be a mystery to me.
I felt God did exist and unknowingly back then at the age of 10, I was going to start the journey of a lifetime in search of Him. Now take my hand and walk with me and I'll take you with on this long journey from the age of 10 when I knew nothing of Him all the way through to today where my heart and life belong completely to Him and my faith is deeper than the ocean and higher than the heavens above and my relationship is very close with Him.
So lets begin. Between the ages of 10 and 14 there wasn't much in my search being so young and not really knowing how to go about it and more or less just enjoying my childhood. I did many of times, unknowing to my parents, sneak away to church with my friend who lived next door. At first I was curious as to what a church service was like and what went on over there. Ironically or maybe as I now believe He sent me, my first service attended was on Good Friday and then again on Easter Sunday. What a beautiful way to start my journey by finding out what Jesus was about right from the beginning. Praise the Lord. I didn't fully understand everything that was being talked about but I did ask a lot of questions to my friend. She answered them and the answers brought a slight understanding of what was going on. I went to church many more times with her in the next two years but then her and her family moved out of state.
So between ages 12 and 14 my spiritual growth was pretty much at a standstill. At the age of 14 it was time for me to start High School. My mom and step dad didn’t like the public school that was in our jurisdiction. It had too many drugs and gangs in it. My mom told me they were going to send me to the all girls Catholic High School, which was a block away, but she told me to make sure I told them I am not Catholic. The question never arose so never had to say anything there. I was so happy when they sent me there though. I had extra credits that I needed fulfilled and I was able to take whatever classes I wanted to fill them. I chose religion classes without my parents’ knowledge but they brought me closer to Him once again, closer to the knowledge I was searching for. The classes I took gave me more of an understanding of Him but wasn’t all that I needed.


(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment